Invisible Line

I’m on your side
I just don’t know what to say
I don’t even see color
I was taught everyone is equal
I would never treat anyone bad
They don’t deserve to be treated like that but there’s nothing I can do about it
It’s not my fault I was born this way

Whitest black person I know
So well spoken
Doesn’t talk like she’s black
Too many of them just makes me.... uncomfortable
Is that your real hair? I just had to touch it! It’s so poofy I had to know what it feels like!
How do you get hair like that? Is it real?
You laugh, mean well, smile, but would you pet a dog without asking the owner first?

Another diversity training/tolerance training? learn how to “tolerate them”...Tolerate? How about making things equal? Instead of barely tolerating?
Love to hire you but we need to interview some minorities
White man can’t get a job these days, it’s reverse discrimination!
I’m not being defensive, just think about it from the white side!
Well, I thought we’d be talking about their race, not mine, I’m white/normal

There she goes, pulling the race card again
Don’t bring it up around her anymore, she’s just a little... much
She gets so emotional over nothing
But if I can’t talk to you about this stuff who do I talk to?
We don’t know any “others”, can our kids be friends?
Can you pass me the skin colored crayon? Oh, bandaids don’t match your skin color?
White hair care products are just “normal”, yours are over there in the ethnic isle

oh..... I never even thought about that!

Are you unconsciously enjoying “normal” life? Never thought about how you live a different “normal”?
Think about it! or this will perpetuate. Don’t just feel guilty about it. It’s too late, you can’t unlearn what you know.

I know it hurts but NOW you know better,
do better,
be better.

Comments

  1. Yuliko's voice is raw, direct and gorgeous. Her familiy's experiences with racism in our country, in all it's unique, malevalent forms, can educate us all. Listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Yukiko and family, I have so much love and respect for you. Thank you for sharing your experience in such powerful words. In my opinion, restorative justice is needed, and prejudice of any kind is ugly.
    Joy in conversation and learning with you. Peace, Delaram

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Sure?

From Rice to Cornbread and Biscuits